CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

First:
I want to say "thank you" to my family, including my mother in law, for the wonderful time I had at my birthday dinner.

Second:
My folks were a little amazed when they heard I was letting the kids watch "Cops". (Let me say they watch religously and gave it up when the kids were over). I used to not let them watch it because the little one was too little, and the older one acted out the segments with his buddies on the school playground. (Those were interesting calls to get from principal).
Lately though, the kids had gotten some strange ideas about what the police can and cannot do. The would talk about their Dad arresting someone and shooting that person for talking trash at him, and other crazy kid stuff. So, I thought, what the heck, it can't do any more towards twisting what they thought the job is about. Plus, it gives them an idea of the things their Dad deals with when he's at work. Since watching has been allowed, the crazy talk has stopped, more questions are being asked about how the police handled themselves on the show, what Dad does at work, and to my husband's relief - the kids let him come through the door and have a few minutes to himself.
I'm sure this won't work for everyone. And I'm sure there are people who are going to read this and be shocked that I'm letting the young impressionable minds of my kids be exposed to "that".
All I have to say is this: It's our life. It's our job to raise our kids, and there's no manual to consult and we're doing the best we can. And all things considered, I think we're doing ok.

3 comments:

Front Porch Society said...

I think it is an excellent idea to let your kids watch COPS! This way they can see that a life of crime does not pay - they will be caught! And it gives them a great eye-opening experience to see just what their dad has to deal with everyday.
I know when I was dating this one guy years ago and he had 2 children. The oldest was 10 and she was always asking me cop questions so I let her watch COPS while I was sitting next to her. (gotta do the adult thing and monitor what she watched, ya know!) That really helped her understand more so what goes on. And I let her sit in the squad car and taught her what the buttons and switches all did. She loved that!!

Officer "Smith" said...

Not to mention, they get to hear me yelling at the coppers for doing some really stupid things. That teaches them what not to do too!

Front Porch Society said...

lol! I do the same thing when watching COPS - I critique everything! ;)